EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT
AN ECD ENABLING ENVIRONMENT
Recognising that the emotional, social and physical development of young children has a direct impact on their overall development and on the adult they will become, we began investing in early childhood development (ECD) in 2014.
❝Success is a journey and we are extremely grateful for Sappi's loyal support as a sponsor.
Thank you for reaching out and transforming people's lives.❞
Jabulani Steven Mkhize,
founder of the Jabulani Training and Development Centre
- Our ECD project in KwaZulu-Natal has been implemented under the auspices of the Training and Resources in Early Education (TREE) organisation. A total of 43 caregivers have graduated from the programme.
- In Mpumalanga, we have developed an ECD Centre of Excellence at the Sappi Elandshoek community through Penreach, the largest teacher development programme in Africa. Through efforts by Penreach (www.penreach.co.za/learn):
- 114 ECD centres reaching over 6,000 children have been established
- 12 toy libraries are reaching over 1,000 children
- Home-based ECD programmes are reaching over 300 households, and
- Workshops and training have reached 650 ECD practitioners.
- In 2016, we extended the ECD programme to Gauteng, by sponsoring the Jabulani Training and Development Centre. Our sponsorship of the Jabulani Training and Development Centre has contributed to the training of over 1,250 ECD practitioners over the past few years.