FROM OUR CEO
Global goals and national priorities related to reliable energy, economic growth, resilient infrastructure, sustainable industrialisation, consumption and production, and food security, are all inextricably linked to a sustainable supply of clean water. These facts, together with the fact that water is integral to our production processes, mean that is particularly important for Sappi to manage water resources responsibly.
The importance of water is reflected in the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 6 and 14, which respectively focus on Clean Water and Sanitation and Life below Land.
In alignment with Goal 6, we are focusing on improving wastewater quality, increasing water-use efficiency and implementing integrated water management across our operations. In terms of Goal 14, our renewable, recyclable paper and paper packaging solutions offer an alternative to the fossil-based packaging clogging the world's oceans.
Our 2018 report details our work to integrate these and the other SDGs into our everyday business processes as we continue to create shared value by investing in Production, People and Planet.
Chief Executive Officer of Sappi Southern Africa
ABOUT OUR ACCOLADES
- Sappi Forests' Stop and Think Before you Act safety initiative won a coveted Gold Quill Award of Excellence for Safety Communication Management from the International Association of Business Communications (IABC). In addition, the work was also selected as one of eight Best of the Best entries from 258 awarded entries. In total, 699 entries from 27 countries were judged.
- Ngodwana Mill received the Kruger Lowveld Chamber of Business and Tourism's Annual Environmental Award.
- The Absa Business Day Supplier Development Awards celebrate companies in South Africa who have made a remarkable contribution to successful supplier development. Sappi Forests won the Women's Empowerment Award and Rural Economies Award and was also recognised as an overall finalist as well as a finalist in the Innovation category. The awards were based on Sappi's contribution to supplier development in South Africa through Sappi Khulisa.
- The Sappi Annual Integrated Report won best report at GAPP print quality awards while the Sappi Southern Africa Sustainability Report won the silver award.
ABOUT Sappi Southern Africa
Sappi Southern Africa (SSA), which employs 5,206 people, is an integrated forest products company that meets the needs of local and international customers through a wide range of products from three divisions:
- Dissolving wood pulp, now branded as Verve, is sold to converters for use in products such as textiles, clothing, cellophane wrap, pharmaceutical, beauty and household products. We are the world's largest manufacturer of dissolving wood pulp.
- Sappi Paper and Paper Packaging provides products including: printing and writing papers, newsprint, tissue wadding, containerboard (used to manufacture cardboard boxes) and packaging papers (for the agricultural, industrial and FMCG industries). We also produce structural timber from sawmilling.
- Sappi ReFibre collects waste paper for own consumption, amounting to approximately 140,000 tons per annum
- Sappi Forests supplies approximately 65% of the woodfibre needs of SSA from both our own and managed commercial plantations. All our own-grown wood is 100% Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified.
SSA is a division of Sappi Limited (JSE: SAP); a global company headquartered in Johannesburg, South Africa, with 12,645 employees worldwide, and manufacturing operations on three continents in eight countries and customers in over 150 countries. Learn more about Sappi at www.sappi.com.
to South Africa's export revenue.
Are the second-largest exporter out of Durban harbour.
Indirectly contribute 4% to export revenue through the packaging boxes we manufacture and supply to the fruit industry.