Adding value to daily life
With a growing global population and increased per-capita wealth, consumers are becoming more conscious of resource scarcity and the need for efficiency. In the context of greater consumer awareness, societal demands for sustainable products will only grow.
Our products add value to people’s lives every day and are used in many ways:
- Our Verve DWP is used world-wide by converters to create viscose fibre for fashionable clothing and textiles, pharmaceutical products as well as a wide range of consumer and household products.
- Quality packaging and speciality and papers are used in the manufacture of products such as soup sachets, luxury carry bags, cosmetic and confectionery packaging, boxes for agricultural products for export, tissue wadding for household tissue products, and casting and release papers used by suppliers to the fashion, textiles, automobile and household industries.
- Our market-leading range of graphic paper products are used by printers to produce books, brochures, magazines, catalogues, direct mail and many other print applications.
- We contribute to society through payments to governments, suppliers and employees, as well as returns to shareholders.
- We facilitate social and economic wellbeing by using labour from local communities, and the services of small and medium enterprises in areas around plantations and production facilities. We also have a best-practice training programme and, through our corporate social investment programme, together with our enterprise development programme in Southern Africa, invest in the socio-economic development of the communities in which our workers live.
- The indirect economic benefits of our operations impact on sectors including technical, construction and engineering services which are outsourced to a variety of contractors. The chemicals industry, in particular, is one of our major suppliers. In addition, the provision of services including collection of waste paper for the industry and outsourcing non-core activities such as maintenance, medical services, transportation, cleaning and security creates opportunities for small, medium and micro enterprises.
In 2019, we added value to the Prosperity of the regions where we operate:
- By employing 13,187 people. In addition, just over 10,300 people are employed by contractors working for Sappi Forests (SSA).
- By creating millions of dollars' worth of goods
each year. In 2019 sales per region were:
- SEU: US$2,918 million (2018: US$2,970 million)
- SNA: US$1,466 million (2018: US$1,432 million)
- SSA: US$1,342 million (2018: US$1,328 million)
- By contributing to domestic growth and the balance of payments in each region where we operate by exporting products to over 150 countries around the world.