Through the structured Employee Ideas that Matter programme, SNA employees bring their charitable ideas to life. For four years, employees have been applying for direct funding to benefit the non-profit organisations that they are most passionate about, and the winners share US$25,000 in corporate giving to support their selected causes. Funding can be used in many ways—from financing a project, sponsoring a trail clean-up, or providing new equipment or supplies.
In 2019, Sappi received applications for nearly 40 worthy causes around the country. The competition was tough, but in the end 10 were selected. Grants were given for:
- Outdoor reading space near the Oakland Public Library created a team of 37 Sappi employees for the ShineOnCass Foundation
- Skowhegan AmeriCorps Outdoor Recreation Programme
- Replenishment of library lost to fire at Meadowbrook Waldorf School
- Sponsorship of summer reading and STREAM Club programme for Children Across America
- Construction of a quiet space at Windham Primary School
- Construction of 4 kilometres of trail along the Pine Valley mountain bike trail
- Full-day construction of homes in Scarborough under Habitat for Humanity
- Repair of homes as part of the Age in Place programme under Habitat for Humanity
- Improvement of lighting around the 4 Seasons Event Centre, Carlton Amateur Hockey Association
- Bikes for Books programme.
The next round of Employee Ideas that Matter applications will begin in January 2020.